How do you solar power a panda?
Even though they might not really know it, Wang Wang and Funi are using some of the latest and most efficient renewable energy in their home generously provided by AGL Energy, Australia's leading renewable energy company. A cleaner source of energy is a step towards environmental preservation – which will help with conserving our planet's species, such as the giant pandas.
The clean power generated by the solar energy system will help with climate control by contributing to the electricity used to chill the large rocks in the exhibit, power misters, as well as generate electricity for lighting, panda camera surveillance and researcher's computers. The solar power also helps refrigerate the panda's favourite food, bamboo, of which they can eat up to 40kg a day – each!
Clean, renewable energy helps preserve the environment.
Thanks to the clean, renewable energy generated through their solar system, the giant pandas now have a greatly reduced carbon paw print, as generating electricity from a solar energy system emits zero greenhouse gases (measured as CO2e). The new solar energy system that the Giant pandas received will produce clean, renewable solar energy, thus reducing emissions of CO2e by approximately 14,388kg annually, which would otherwise be generated by non-renewable energy generation sources such as coal-fired electricity generators. With that figure the giant pandas are now setting the example for Australian households!
A bit about the nuts and bolts of solar energy.
The giant panda's solar energy starts with the AGL solar panels that have been installed on their exhibit roof. The panels send the energy of the sun's rays into an inverter which converts it into electrical current that's then used to power the panda's chilled rocks, among many other things in their exhibit. Simple!
A positive climate change for your 'home'
AGL is committed to 100% renewable energy for the giant pandas and for your home as well. There are loads you can do to keep up with Wang Wang and Funi. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Have AGL install a solar energy system at your home. You'll reduce the cost of your energy bills whilst doing something for the environment. Find out more about the type of solar systems available and what's right for your home by visiting www.aglsolarenergy.com.au.
- Put your home to the test online with AGL's Energy Rater Tool. Just answer a few quick questions and you'll find out how energy efficient your home is as well as pick up a few clever energy saving tips along the way.
- Renting? Enquire about powering your home with cleaner energy sources such as wind and hydro. When you sign up to AGL's GreenPower accredited Green ChoiceTM, AGL can source electricity of your entire household consumption from renewable sources. Find out how on www.agl.com.au/greenpower.
- Or have an AGL technician visit your home to give you a free Home Energy Assessment*. They'll give you a thorough energy appraisal of your home, including ideas about renewable energy, like installing solar panels. AGL is committed to helping you save energy and lessening your bill at the end of the month. Call AGL today on 131 766 for more information.
* Currently available for homes in Victoria and South Australia.